Tricks for Treats
When it comes to food… everyone has their vices, their cravings. If you’re like me, you crave sweets, LOTS of sweets Or you may be a salty, savory person. Either way, it’s hard to always say no to those cravings. Should we try to ignore or give in just for a bite? Both options can lead to a regretful pig-out session.
One smart way to curb your cravings is to swap it for a healthier but still tasty treat. Here are some ideas:
- Instead of CHOCOLATE CANDIES, try one square of dark chocolate (at least 70% cacao). Dark chocolate has benefits such as improving cholesterol and providing antioxidants.
- Instead of a BROWNIE, try a chocolate brownie nutrition bar… Or better yet, half a nutrition bar. Either way it’s less calories than the real thing.
- Instead of an ICE CREAM CONE, try fat-free whipped topping between 2 chocolate graham cracker squares, frozen!
- Instead of CHEESECAKE, try a graham cracker topped with 1 tbsp part-skim ricotta and cinnamon.
- Instead of FRENCH FRIES, try peeled parsnips cut into strips, spritzed with olive oil spray, and bake at 450 till crisp.
- Instead of POTATO CHIPS, try baked chips. They still have the salty flavor, but fewer calories.
- Instead of PIZZA, try a low-fat, high-fiber frozen pizza. Add extra veggies for a healthy boost.
If you have any “healthy” treats that you use to curb your cravings, please post here to share with others.
As always, contact me with any questions.
Healthy, happy snacking!
“Smart Swaps“ Health May 2012: 49.